The concept of "Play-to-Earn" (P2E) is already well-known in the realm of online gaming and cryptocurrencies, garnering significant attention and interest from enthusiasts and investors alike.
The research, conducted by Data40 Ltd. and presented here, aims to provide precise and comprehensive data regarding the impact of media influencers on the P2E industry.
Research Goals and Objectives
- Studying open information and articles on the P2E subject;
- Collecting key articles, reviews, and websites.
- Forming datasets of sources on the P2E subject;
- Creating charts of authors and experts;
- Compiling lists of communities formed around the P2E subject;
- Formulating quantitative assessments of collected data;
- Determining P2E topics and trends.
Open data search on the topic of RCE/P2E economics in English using key phrases, such as: P2E, GameFI, Web3 gaming, Metaverse:
- Searching for reference websites;
- Searching for communities on Reddit, Facebook, Medium, Telegram, X (previously Twitter). Studying these platforms’ specifics, compiling datasets on existing communities;
- Proofreading and studying articles + formulating a TOP-40 of articles with descriptions;
- Compiling and creating charts based on collected materials.
- The collected information does not claim absolute completeness;
- Criteria for selecting communities on Facebook, Reddit, Medium, and Telegram are:
- At least 5,000 members;
- P2E publications made in the period of time between May 1 and June 30, 2023;
- Open groups only.
- Criteria for selecting communities on X (previously Twitter):
- At least 10,000 members;
- P2E publications made in the period of time between May 1 and June 30, 2023.
- The TOP-40 articles chart was compiled based on FIV (expert opinion of an analyst with a focus on the fundamental information on the topic of P2E economy in these articles) + traffic from the surveyed resource, which may not always serve as objective criteria. Such popularity metrics as view counts, likes, shares, and comments were not found, except for articles from the cointelegraph.com website.
During the research, 623 open sources of information in English were found, active between May 1 and June 30, 2023, on the topic of RCE/P2E economies, including::
- 67 websites (see the “P2E Industry Media Influencer Preliminary Research Q2 2023 | Data40.com” table, “Websites” tab);
- 59 Reddit communities;
- 67 Facebook communities;
- 47 Medium communities;
- 240 X (previously Twitter) communities;
- 143 Telegram channels.
Special attention was paid to the crypto gaming guilds phenomenon. A dataset was compiled from 35 organizations.
74 articles were studied. A chart of 40 articles with descriptions was compiled, containing links to P2E author and publicist examples. Charts with the best information sources on the P2E topic were formed based on the analyst's opinion.
Future Goals & Extensions
Based on research results, the analyst has proposed the following objectives:
- Continuing the research for other time periods and additional expansions:
- Gathering detailed data on P2E games-related communities;
- Adding detailed classification for communities on the researched platforms.
- Conducting in-depth research of DAOs and crypto gaming guilds;
- Developing references and reports on the P2E industry.